Monday, March 24, 2008

Monster M-80


I am glad to get an energy drink, finally, to review. This site's first energy drink to be reviewed is the Monster M-80, Monster Energy's second attempt at a fruity beverage, after the Khaos. Coming in at 16oz, I have had these many times, and must say that they are phenomenal. Let me share with you my experience today, reviewing this great drink.

I've got my cup here, on the desk, ready to pour my Monster in. When the can is opened, there is immediately the pungent aroma of pineapple and some tartness. This Monster is very fruity, as you can tell by the smell and the label on the back of the can reading, "80% Juice." The golden stream of liquid that comes out is a bright, cloudy yellow, with a nice amount of carbonation. As you taste it, you get a little sourness, followed by the crisp, sweet pineapple. Also, with the pineapple, there is some passionfruit and other tropical fruit flavors, all mixed together with the regular Monster citrus/berry/cinnamon. It leaves you with only the aftertaste of the pineapple and with some gumminess, but it's easy to manage. I think it's a beverage best enjoyed in small sips, although I find myself taking them very often.

Now the ingredient list: Like all Monsters and some other brands of energy drinks, instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup, the sweeteners are Glucose and Sucrose. This gives it a sharper, brighter taste, unlike most drinks on the market. In terms of supplements, the Monster's got Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Calcium, and all that good stuff. This one in particular has, I believe, some extra Vitamin C, from the pineapple. Hardly any of it, fortunately, is noticeable in the taste. And as in every Monster Energy drink, there is a 2500mg dose per serving of the Energy Blend, including L-Carnitine, Glucose, Caffeine, Guarana, Inositol, Glucuronolactone, Maltodextrin, along with 1000mg of Taurine and 200mg of Panax Ginseng. This trusty go-to drink will surely keep me up tonight. In fact, I feel more awake already, just typing up this review. If you're craving a drink that isn't going to let you down, you've got to have the M-80.

* I think it is worthy to note that, as you get closer to the end of this Monster, the pineapple concentration is higher and higher. At my last pour, the color was cloudy and had a little pulp in it. Very tasty.

Taste: 8.5 - The nice pineapple flavor is great in this beverage
Kick: 7.5 - Like all of the Monsters, the high is decent, with a gradual drop

Overall: 8


Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"