Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sobe Energy


I was just browsing at Albertson's, not really interested in getting any energy drinks when I saw the Sobe Energy. I figured that it qualifies as an energy drink because it contains guarana, ginseng, and taurine, so I just decided, "Why not?" I'm pretty interested in reviewing this for a few reasons. First, I really haven't reviewed a drink that's made out of glass, nor one without a pop tab. Next, I have really enjoyed Sobe's energy drinks, and I hope they will continue to impress and amaze me. I think Sobe does a great job on their taste but I've realized one thing about it: most have a base flavor of citrus. This bottle is obviously transparent, revealing a dark, opaque citrus color, as well as waves and dots carved into the glass. Sobe slapped a sticker on the glass showing a dark logo that is the two lizards and the default word, "Sobe." In smaller print the words, "Citrus Flavored Beverage" is printed at the bottom, which helps me out explaining the taste. Okay, here it goes...

Unlike many drinks, this one twisted off with the sound of metal separating, or the cracking sound you get when you open up a water bottle. Anyway, I go in for a smell to get a tropical orange-citrus aroma. Just like I mentioned earlier, Sobe Energy has a dark orange color, like a citrus fruit. This drink has an extremely light citrus-orange flavor immediately going into the mouth and touching the tongue. Odd enough, I can feel a chalky, or vitaminy taste as it goes into the mouth as well. I peek over to the ingredients and I don't seem to find anything explaining this odd taste. Okay, I let the ingredients settle, and it tastes about normal; maybe I shouldn't have shaken it. It fades away with some odd various berries, and maybe a bit of cherry, perhaps. This one reminds me of the Vitamin Water Energy, because it has the same mild and light taste; maybe it's Sobe's answer to Vitamin Water's energy drinks. In case you didn't know, this is not carbonated, which leaves me caught chugging its light taste enjoyably. As well as that, I'm pleased to delcare that it has no gumminess whatsoever. Overall, this drink wasn't bad, I really enjoyed its various tropical flavor, but I think it was just too light for me.

Here comes an ingredient list you won't see in just any energy drink. I first see filtered water, which is basically an alternative to carbonated water. Next, I see just plain sugar, or sucrose as well as orange juice from concentrate. Following citric acid, there's some lemon juice from concentrate and natural flavors. There's vitamin C and caffeine with some cherry juice from concentrate (I knew it). After that, taurine finally shows up in this list as well as elderberry juice from concentrate. Per can, you get 270 calories, which isn't bad, considering that it's a 20 ounce bottle. there's also 66g of sugar, isn't that a nice amount for this size? In hardly noticeable small font at the bottom, I see the caffeine content, which is a weak 81mg. For a 20oz bottle, I was expecting a bolder buzz and taste, I guess this is one Sobe didn't do their best on. Compared to all the other citrus energy drinks out there, this one was an easy fail. I think that this one didn't have enough flavor to wow someone, but just enough to down in about 5 minutes or less.

Taste: 6.5 - It wasn't gross at all, but the ingredients in the drink didn't settle
Kick: 5 - 81mg?
Overall: 6- Nothing great, there are many better citrus drinks to choose from

Reviewed by: Chan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I've sworn this drink since my daughter was born a year ago and work picked up at the same time. It doesn't give a traditional energy-kick, kick, no, but if I drink, say, half a bottle in the evening and have to wake up at 2 a.m. (for the baby) and again at 7 a.m. (for the day), I typically feel as if I'd had a good night's sleep. So maybe it's not for everybody, but I know (or suspect) it's helped me during a very busy time. Also, the non-carbonation is huge. I never got into Red Bull and the like because of the carbonation.

Anonymous said...

I just tried this as well from the fountain-drink at a gas station.

The taste is good and quenching. I didn't want a Monster or Red Bull-type 'super energy' drink, and hadn't heard about this Sobe Energy.

I then had to mow 2 lawns in the heat of the summer afternoon.

Afterwards, I felt hydrated, refreshed, and ready to go even more! ...and the best part: no jitters! I was just alert and had a "ready-to-go" feeling.

Granted, I had another one afterwards and felt still good, but not as 'up' (around 9pm), which was probably a mistake, since I had a little trouble falling asleep that night.

I slept 6 hours, and was ready to go in the morning! Pretty darn good results if you ask me!

Besides the carbonation, I bet this would be good for jogging/cycling...

Bodek and Rhodes said...

This is my favorite energy drink!

It's the only one I can drink that doesn't make me feel awful a few hours later. It's much milder than most energy drinks, but it totally works for me. Doesn't feel like a roller coaster.

Though it's really hard to find. I can only find it at ACME supermarket.

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"