Friday, August 29, 2008

Cocaine


Oh wow, the energy drinks you'll see on the market these days, it's unbelievable. You know, so many rumors have gone by about Cocaine energy, whether it be talk about being discontinued, or just about if it has actual drugs in it. I can answer both rumors and settle them here: yes, it was discontinued, but put back onto the market earlier this year after an approval from the FDA. And, no, one 8 ounce can of Cocaine Energy has no traces of drugs in it, but an extremely high amount of caffeine. Which leads me to tell you guys that there's about 280mg of caffeine in only 8 ounces, which, if you didn't know, is more than twice the amount of caffeine as a Red Bull or Monster, crazy! I have not a clue on where to find these, if you ask me, that's only because I acquired this from a buddy via trading. Thanks, Keith! You may be wondering if I'm a bit afraid to drink one of these, and honestly, I am a bit on edge, but then again I'm really eager to crack it open and find out what it's like. Hinting at the red can, I'm going to guess a cherry flavor, but how does cherry mix with a can of energy drink relating to drugs? Perhaps a more 'manly' flavor will have to do with this, like wild berry, or citrus. I don't know but I'm ready to find out.

It breaks open without any trouble and I find a strong sweet cherry aroma, as I nearly choked on the unsuspecting aroma that caught me. It's color out of the can about the color of a cherry, reddish pinkish, bright, but not so. Woah! No way! This isn't what I was expecting, intense! Me being me, I took a huge gulp and felt like I was on fire because the flavor is just like, indescribable. So, imagine taking 10 habanero peppers, putting them in your mouth and swallowing them whole, that's the flavor you get from this drink, aside from a hardly noticeable amount of sweet cherry in the background. After two ounces, I feel like I can almost breath fire out of my mouth, that's how amazingly hot this is. Getting more into the drink, there's more of a wild berry/cherry flavor and it seems to be artificially sweetened. Ah, as a matter of a fact there's some Sucralose in it, sad. Overall, in flavor, I have to say, this has to be the spiciness thing I've ever drunk, but I really did enjoy the cherry flavor I found in the background. I picked up a technique for if you want to drink it without the burning going in your nose and down your throat. Take a sip (As much as you want) and swish it around in your mouth for a few seconds then swallow. It's much easier that way. The carbonation is well, not too much, but still just an average energy drink carbonation. Although, I must say its pretty darn gummy, especially for not even being half way through the can right now. Overall, I want to say that I do NOT recommend this drink for children, nor do I recommend it for those sensitive to spicy foods, trust me, save your cash.

As for ingredients, I see some basic stuff, nothing too much of an insanity. Anyways, there's carbonated water, dextrose, citric acid, taurine, natural flavors, sodium citrate, caffeine, D-Ribose, Salt, sodium benzoate, inositol, ascorbic acid, Sucralose, L-Carnitine, potassium sorbate, guarana, and vitamin B. Well, like Jeff mentioned before, I thought dextrose was used to sweeten hard, chalky candies like Lego candy, but apparently it's used to sweeten cherry energy drinks like this and the BooKoo Punch. Besides natural flavors, all the other energy ingredients seem legit. Natural flavors could really mean anything, only if it comes from a natural source though. Well, We'll leave it at that, anything natural is in here I guess. Per can, there's a measly 70 calories and only 18g of sugar. It's reasonable because there's not that much flavor in a can, it's mostly just spiciness taking over, but there definitely was some cherry/berry in there. After just about topping off the drink, I feel the major effects of a can of Cocaine energy, especially with 280 whopping milligrams of caffeine. I think this drink may be worthy of the Best Kick List. All in all, I am really confused of what and how I should determine the taste, but the kick was outstanding.

Taste: ? - There was an insane amount of spiciness with some nice cherry flow in the background, but I'm just too confused on the taste part
Kick: 9.7 - I'm totally jittery from a can of this stuff
Overall: 9 - Not a bad drink to try, but only if you're really a spicy food/drink lover looking for an awesome kick

Reviewed by: Chan

*Temporary picture used with permission by Taurinerules. Original picture found here: http://taurinerules.blogspot.com/2008/03/cocaine-energy-drink-review.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must have one.

Spironic said...

This stuff is AMAZING! I was lucky enough to come across a can of this stuff about 2 years ago when a friend of mine bought it, and I've been searching for the stuff ever since. It's INCREDIBLE. The flavor is so intense! But in a good way, not a disgusting way.

If you find it, BUY IT. You will not be disappointed.

Anonymous said...

I believe the best way to describe the flavor is that it is like a liquid version of the Atomic Fireball candy.

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"