Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Who's Your Daddy Green Tea


I can love an edgy drink. The first energy drink I had been introduced to was Monster, and it carries a similar edgy feel, as it's associated with auto racing and extreme sports. This one looks like it possibly could be as well. The Who's Your Daddy has a nice green background and has its name written in an edgy capital eroded letters. Below that, in a red, capital, hand-written font, is "Energy Drink," also looking edgy and cool. What makes this odd is the flavor. I don't typically associate green tea with anything edgy. Green tea usually makes me think of relaxation and vitality, but not energy. Maybe this drink can alter my impression of green tea to an energizing, and rejuvenating beverage. After searching for Who's Your Daddy online, I found out they have four flavors: cranberry pineapple, green tea, and their sugar-free versions. They call themself the "King of Energy." I'm interested in seeing how they handle green tea.

I popped the can open and there was minimal vapor. This stuff smells very similar to Arizona's Green Tea energy drink. It's got a classic green tea earthiness with a definite sweet honey smell. My first thought was that there might be real honey in here, so I checked the ingredients. Sadly, honey is nowhere to be found, meaning that honey flavor must come from some kind of natural flavor. Since there was no honey, I decided to see if there is in fact any tea in here. Yes, there is, labelled "Tea powder." While reading the nutrition facts earlier, I was thinking this would be very very sweet, like the BooKoo Punch, because of the 29g of sugar per serving. This drink, even slightly chilled is very drinkable being comfortably sweet and without a strong green tea flavor. I poured this out to see your everyday green tea color, being very light amber-olive and crystal clear. With small sips, you get some very mild honey flavor and with larger ones, you taste a bit more green tea and oddly less honey flavor, since it's hidden by the carbonation. Compared to the common energy drinks, the carbonation doesn't cause nearly as much irritation and goes down smoothly. I'm really starting to warm up to this drink halfway through, and I like it a lot because despite the slightly high sugar level, it doesn't get old or too sweet whatsoever and there isn't any gumminess. This is something I could go for once in a while, though I'm sure a person like Chan, who is a big tea fan, would love this.

I have been waiting to examine the energy ingredients till this paragraph because I wanted to be in for a surprise. I already know this has 29 grams of sugar per serving, resulting in 58 per 16oz can and that the sweetener is the dreaded HFCS, high fructose corn syrup, meaning the sweetness is dull and not all that interesting. I think a quite interesting manufacturer like Who's Your Daddy could've done better by using lovely cane sugar or even honey, the traditional sweetener for green tea, but it seems they too took the cheaper route with HFCS. However, I do commend them for imparting some awesome honey flavor to the drink, fooling your taste buds and enriching the tea for sure. Who's Your Daddy's energy ingredients are pretty solid. Though there's a slightly weak 800mg per serving of Taurine, there are a whopping 200mg of Caffeine in the whole can. That is a nice thing to see inside a drink and I hadn't expected to see a great amount in here. The rest is 100mg of Pantothenic Acid and 100mg of Inositol total, and B6, Niacin, B12, and Zinc. It's a short list, but it is going to provide a quick burst of energy and then some alertness. For the rest of the ingredients, we've got Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Green Tea Powder, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Benzoate, Ascorbic Acid, and Caramel Color.

Taste: 7.6 - Tea drinkers who enjoy sweet drinks are going to enjoy this
Kick: 7.5 - 200mg of caffeine makes for a good short burst of energy
Overall: 7.6 - Good take on green tea; I'd like to try their other flavors

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"