Wednesday, July 2, 2008

YJ Stinger Enraged Raspberry


I've got a whole lot of drinks to review, including some great ones like Jolt Power Cola and BooKoo Wild Berry Zero Carb, but I pulled this thing out of my fridge instead. I wanted this one because I was hankering for some classic raspberry flavor I heard this had. Also, it would be a great drink to compare to the Jolt Blue and the upcoming review of Jolt Blue Raspberry. I'm not too happy to know that there are about 30g of sugar per serving, 32 per can. I am definitely not one for super sweet drinks, and the sweetness in the Enraged Raspberry is probably going to really bug me. Perhaps that is the reason they only come in 8.4oz cans. Probably by the end of this review, I'm going to be glad this isn't 16oz. I've already discussed the look of the can so I'm going to tear in.

I popped it open and observed. The smell is pretty faint blue raspberry with a kind of weird metallic wang I've never smelled before. Odd, but I'll forget about it for now. I poured it out and the color nearly blew my mind. I haven't seen such an electric sky blue before. With a small sip, I taste a very tiny and lame berry that I can just barely tell is raspberry. I thought it might take me a larger sip to get he taste right, but that's not true. It's still fizzy with fine carbonation and hardly any flavor. I was thinking this would be packed with flavor, but I was wrong. Also surprising, it isn't super sugary like the Freeks and some of the BooKoos. It's instead just at the right level, but I still taste that weird salty or bitter something; I'm not sure what it is, but I can't seem to enjoy the drink with it in there. Well, when I block it out, the drink still doesn't seem to impress me. It tastes not as sweet as the Jolt Blue, but then there's a whole lot less flavor with no tartness whatsoever. I wouldn't buy this again, nor would I recommend it to anyone. It's just totally mediocre.

Well, I do feel a kick, but it's just below average. The energy ingredients aren't listed in their amounts, sadly, but they are in the ingredients. Caffeine comes in after the third ingredient, Citric Acid, which should have given the drink a nice acidity. Taurine follows, then there's Ascorbic Acid, which also failed to give the drink some sourness. The rest of the list is as follows: B Vitamin Stack, Yerba Mate, Guarana, Ginseng, Blue 1, Natural and Artificial Flavors, and Potassium Sorbate, as a preservative. I can't tell how much of what is in here, but it looks like the predominant energy ingredients are Taurine and Caffeine. Toward the end of the ingredients is where you see Ginseng and Guarana, telling you there's very little. The kick may vary depending on your Caffeine tolerance, meaning coffee-holics won't get much. This drink is just a drink you want to skip for something better.

Taste: 5 - Faint and muted fake raspberry
Kick: 6 - Delivers slight alertness, nothing more
Overall: 5 - Forget about it

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"