Saturday, May 10, 2008

BooKoo Wet Zen Again Lime


Here's another one of those cases in which I do not require a cup to observe the color of the beverage. This one was an incredible bargain, being two for a dollar, or just 50 cents. It differs from most energy drinks, or just drinks made by BooKoo, because it's more of a calming drink. Instead of containing things like Caffeine, Taurine, Ginseng, and Guarana, it has 25mg of Chamomile Extract and the same amount of Valerian Root Extract. I learned quickly that Valerian is an herb that acts as a mild sedative and promotes sleep. I hope I don't fall asleep after this one, but it would still be nice to feel a little bit calmer. I'll see how it goes.

This is going to be a kind of odd opening ritual, because this is a bottle, not a can. It doesn't make a loud crack, and it's resealable. Like the other BooKoo Wets, this one was filled to the brim. When I needlessly poured this out into a cup, I noticed the color being almost crystal clear, like lime juice. The smell was a little confusing, smelling like lime with some earthy herbiness. I am quite sure I can taste the Chamomile right in there with a very subtle and mild lime. It's like a lime without any sourness at all. I think that makes it more refreshing that it probably would be, but even then, it isn't quite as refreshing as I had hoped it would be. It leaves your mouth with a great chalkiness, like tea does when you drink it. Not quite the acid eating away at your enamel feel, but just a little irritating. It's not bad, but it leaves something to be desired. It doesn't really quench your thirst, but rather greaten it, with its chalky, herby texture and the mild gumminess that lingers at the back of your mouth. It truly leaves something to be desired. Some more depth like maybe some orange or tropical flavor. It's pretty bland as it is, and I don't have the same incentive to take frequent sips as something like a Monster, which is much smoother. I'd say it's pretty mediocre, not being the best lime I've had.

The kick, or should I say, the calm, was great. I am really calm and relaxed right now. I'm not sure whether 25mg was a large dose of Chamomile or not, but it certainly has affected me. Along with Chamomile and Valerian Root Extract, the drink included 40% of your daily allowance of Vitamins A, C, E, B6, and B12. Simple ingredients, compared to many other drinks. No Taurine, Ginseng, Guarana, Inositol, Glucuronolactone, Caffeine, or Maltodextrin. It isn't sweetened with HFCS, but an equivalent to HFCS, Crystalline Fructose. What that really is is just corn syrup that has been allowed to crystallize. That's not saying much about the drink's healthiness. I would rather see good ol' Glucose and Surcrose. Overall, the drink is pretty mediocre, only special because of it's calming effects, rather than energizing.

Taste: 6 - Leaves something to be desired
Kick: 5 - I grew calmer, so it did its job
Overall: 4 - I wouldn't have it again

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"