Sunday, June 15, 2008

Jolt Cola


Today I took a trip to Big Lots! and was greeted happily by a wall of energy drinks. They had half an aisle devoted to just random energy drinks. There are for sure going to be a lot of reviews coming soon. The first of my reviews will be the Jolt Cola, which I had always wanted to try. I am sort of crazy about colas and can't wait to try Red Bull Cola. This is my first cola energy drink, and I can't wait to try it. I'm expecting a better version of Coke or Pepsi, being less carbonated and with more cola flavor. Oh, and the thing with Jolt is they pack a huge amount of caffeine into one can. There are 220mg of Caffeine in this bad boy, way more than almost any drink. Along with caffeine, there exist Guarana, Taurine, Ginseng, and Vitamin Bs. I am extremely eager to open this and compare this to the leading colas.

Chandler also impersonated Spawn of Uamenti as I opened the can. The color was definitely close to the color of Coke and Pepsi, being that dark brown caramel color, but it's a little darker and less saturated than regular cola. The smell is very succulent cola, reminding me of the Monster Assault I had recently. Everything about the drink is positive until I taste it. It disappoints me like a soda. The carbonation hits first and distracts your from the cola, which seems as if it is barely there. The carbonation never really leaves your mouth, until you swallow, which is very unfulfilling. Then, the aftertaste is also unpleasant, being sour and bitter, probably coming from the phosphoric acid. I never have liked phosphoric acid; it just hurts going down your throat and eats away at your teeth. I also hate the huge amount of carbonation that they dump in there. It isn't much better than a regular soda, and that makes me sad. The only thing making it better than a Coke is the fact that there are 220 earth-shattering milligrams of caffeine, which I'm feeling right now.

Although the taste was just about average for a soda, below average for an energy drink, the kick is really intense. The whole night, I was incredibly wired and full of energy. These guys at Jolt aren't messing around. Along with a massive 220mg of Caffeine, there is Taurine, Ginseng, Guarana, and Vitamin B Complex. I checked to see what the sweetener was and wasn't very surprised to see that it is HFCS. Of course, it's what contributed to the drink's dull taste. Per serving, there are 27g of sugar, which is equal to a Monster, but the carbonation tones it down and made it a whole lot less satisfying than a Monster. The taste of the drink was mediocre, but if you're looking for a serious kick, you want a Jolt.


Taste: 6 - Mediocre cola, just like the rest
Kick: 9 - Awesome caffeine boost
Overall: 7 - Good for the boost, and if you're into colas

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"