Friday, May 2, 2008

Hansen's Diet Red


This one I got earlier. I had supposed Trader Joe's would have some unique energy drinks, but I was wrong. All they had was the regular and Lo-Carb Monster, their own brand, which looked weak, and this. I'm not quite sure what to expect, but I'm hoping for something good. I read on the description at Trader Joe's that this drink is fast-acting and potent, but I'm not ready to believe it until I experience it. As for the flavor, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm guessing it'll be the common bubble-gum flavor found in energy drinks, with either a red or amber color. The can makes it look powerful, and I'm hoping that's true.

At the first whiff, my notion that this would be a pretty generic drink was confirmed. But, wait. For a second, I thought it smelled like cinnamon. It's like a Monster that's been exposed to air, but not in a bad way. I'm already starting to like it just by the smell. The color's quite unique, being just a bit darker than a Monster, that is, a gold-amber. Ahh, it even tastes somewhat like a Monster. The differences are minute, being a slightly artificial aftertaste and a thinner or more one-dimensional taste. Still, it proves to be quite enjoyable. Now that I'm halfway into it, the cinnamon has faded away and the flavor is mostly that bubble-gum I was referring to. The carbonation doesn't get in the way of that, and there's not a lot of gumminess to do the same. I find it a bit comical that on the side of the can, the makers make the claim that the flavor is in fact berry, but I just don't taste it. Overall on the taste, this one is not bad. It's not one that will make you regret taking that last sip. It's one that makes you, rather, want to take another, and further explore the flavor. I might call this one a Monster clone.

On the front of the can, they go right out and tell you there is Taurine, Ginseng, L-Carnitine, and B-Vitamins in the mix. Rightly so, there's there seem to be the same energy ingredients in the Energy Blend as the Monsters: L-Carnitine, Glucose, Caffeine, Guarana, Inositol, Glucuronolactone, and Maltodextrin. And there's the same amount per serving in this as a Monster, 2500mg. But I momentarily forgot that this is a diet energy drink. And after reading the ingredients, I learn that there is Glucose within, but also Splenda and Acesulfame. I remember finding Acesulfame in diet green tea. It's not great stuff and did give this drink its artificial sweet aftertaste. The ingredients in this are mostly standard except for Grape Skin Extract, which, it claims, is for color. Whatever. As for the boost I got after this, it was great... until I started to come down. The crash is noticable. I came down without noticing it and now I feel like I do after I run a mile. I would buy this for the taste, but then, the thought of the crash may make me reconsider.

Taste: 7.5 - Pleasant, slightly cinnamony, with that energy drink taste
Kick: 6 - Good, but I crashed
Overall: 6.5 - Not bad

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"