Sunday, July 6, 2008

Monster Black Ice


Monster fans rejoice! Monster has released a new energy slurpee called Black Ice. I've heard so many great things about the New Monster Black Ice and I knew it was about time to head over to my local 7/11 and grab one. While I was there, I thought I'd take a look for some energy drinks as well, I saw the two Spike Shooter energy drinks. I decided to wait it out and review the energy drinks I already have, but I did get the Monster Black Ice. I was pretty fond of Monster's idea of advertising, using a new type of logo. It's an intense black 'M', with some crazy black storms going on in the background, probably representing a crazy energy blend, I'd say it's my favorite logo thus far. Every 7/11 stores I've been to lately have been advertising this new Slurpee like crazy, I think it'll do fine even if it's not that great. All the companies are making energy drinks Slurpees nowadays, and I have gotten to try them all, but haven't had the chance to review them. The Amp Slurpee was just Okay, too gummy, and the Full Throttle Slurpee was pretty good, I hope this one can conquer the whole idea of a 7/11 Slurpee. If it does, then you can bet it would be one of the most popular energy Slurpees of all times. Well, let's check this behemoth Slurpee out.

I wasn't expecting what came out of the spigot and into my little cheap 7/11 cup. It's the same color as the Monster Mixxd, but darker, almost like purple-black. I remembered to smell it before I took a sip from the straw, my head drew back in shock, an extremely sweet Monster aroma, with some added unknown ingredient. I was even more surprised when I took a sip, being like every single Monster flavor packed in a frozen delight. Off the top of my head, I named all the flavors of Monster that I found in this drink: M-80, Khaos, Mixxd, Assault, Heavy Metal, Original, and Lo-Carb. It first hits you with a cola taste (Assault), then it changes into a tropical juicy flavor (M-80, Khaos), and it fades away with an original citrus-grape-berry-apple flavor (Original, Lo-Carb, Heavy Metal, Mixxd). The flavor is so intense, it forces you to take only small sips every once in awhile, don't be mistaken if you think you can down a 40 ouncer; it's not your average 7/11 Slurpee. It's nicely carbonated, just like every other Slurpee out there, which compliments the flavor real well, and doesn't steal the thunder, like some other energy drinks would. The aftertaste is really mild, leaving you with a basic Monster taste, calling for you to take some more sips. Since it's hopefully sweetened with sucrose and glucose, the gumminess is very mild, having barely any, but you can still feel some lingering around somewhere. Overall, Monster did an amazing job combining all their flavors in one, but beware: flavor EXPLOSION in this energy drink, expect some crazy good intense flavor.

I'm not sure what to list in this ingredients paragraph, I'll try my best. For starters, I noticed some cola, so I'm sure they threw some Pepsi-Cola flavoring in. Next, I can taste some juice, so I'm pretty sure they put some of that M-80 tropical fruit from concentrate, like pineapple, mango, and melon. The Khaos is similar, having some orange and apple flavor, probably from concentrate. The Heavy Metal has mostly apple, I wouldn't be surprised if some of that was thrown in. Lastly, they definitely put some Mixxd grape cider flavor as well as a lot of original Monster flavor: apple, raspberry, and citrus. It sounds like if Jeff and I were to make an energy drink, these would be some key ingredients in ours. I'm feeling pretty jittery right now, so I'm positive there's a lot of energy blend in here (Guarana, ginseng, caffeine, taurine), but I can tell most of it is from the sugar in the Slurpee, although Monsters aren't that sugary. All in all, Monster made the perfect drink, I think; there's no gumminess, it's lightly carbonated, a lot of flavor, mostly natural, and just refreshing and tasty. It's limited time only, so after this sentence, you go out and get yourself one of these Monster Black Ice's.

Taste: 9.5 - The prefect blend of all Monster flavors
Kick: 7 - This can vary, depending on what size you get, but I'll stick with an average
Overall: 9 - Words cannot describe the amount of greatness in this energy Slurpee

Reviewed by: Chan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it tastes good, but turns your poop green. Very green! Beware.

Canned Reviewer said...

Dude, I totally noticed that!! That was so wicked awesome!

-Jeff

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad I read this... I thought there was something wrong with me!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yep I pooed green too....

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"