Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Diesel Energy

ALRIGHT! I'm totally psyched to have the one and only Diesel! My impression of the Diesel is that it's a no-frills energy drink designed to give you a great kick. The can artwork is just fantastic and gives it an edgy feel. The blurb on the back of the can details the energy supplements: amino acids, Ginseng, Taurine, Caffiene, Ginkgo Biloba (dude!), Glucuronolactone, and B Vitamins. I'm so excited, I'm not going to waste my time with the intro.

Very nice; as I popped the top, I noticed a very, very nice berry smell. You can tell it's totally not artificial, with its rich, fantastic scent. However, the color is not the color of any berry. It's a dark brown like watered-down cola or dark ale. The color of diesel, maybe? Or the color many people would imagine diesel to be. I took a sip and was a little thrown off. I can't think of the flavor immediately, but it tastes exotic and a little familiar. It might not be berry after all, but tamarind. If you don't know what that is, it's a fruit that comes in a hard brown pod like a shell, but tastes very sour and has a distinct taste. It's used in a Mexican beverage called Agua de Tamarindo, which means Tamarind Water. If you don't know what it tastes like, allow me to describe it to you, the best I can. When you smell the diesel, there's a very sweet and tangy bite to it. When you take it in, it's the same bite with sweetness, finishing off with some tangyness and the characteristic flavor of the Tamarind towards the back of your mouth. The carbonation is about average or a little less, yet the flavor comes through very well. After a few minutes of taking small sips, I'm getting some mild gumminess at the back of my mouth, that isn't as bad as other drinks. The flavor, I must say, is uncommon, but Diesel pulls it off pretty well, and I think the flavor does fit very well with the name and the can. It's a kind of dirty flavor with a bite that goes with everything else.

Now, what about the kick? I did say that I was expecting an amazing boost. I tried to chug this thing to find out more quickly, but that ain't happening; the carbonation puts an end to that. I'm returning to this review after a quick workout.

20 minutes later...

Back after jumping jacks and other exercises, I have to say, this drink kept me going. I was pretty much at 100% the whole time, and I'm still intensely focused, which I can attribute to the Ginkgo Biloba, that odd little leaf that provides great focus and concentration. Right now, I'm feeling great. I'm energetic, focused, and I can't say that anything is the cause but this, the Diesel. I did learn one thing while I worked out, though. The drink's flavor is all really in the aftertaste. I took a drink, and I swear the carbonation destroyed my tongue, but after, the flavor was pleasant and enjoyable.

Nevermind that, let's get to the ingredients. I guess there's so much in the drink that the makers of the drink just decided not to list the amounts. All I know is that there's Taurine, at number 5 in the list, L-Carnitine, Caffeine, Inositol, Guarana, Ginseng, Ginkgo Biloba, and all the regular vitamins. Oh right, and there's the five amino acids, which could be what are making me feel so good right now. It's sweetened with Glucose and HFCS, and there's not much more to say than that. I call the Diesel a pretty solid drink with a unique flavor and a real power promise. I guess it's just another drink you've got to try for yourself.

Taste: 8 - Very interesting and exotic
Kick: 9 - Man, this mammoth can can provide some sick juice!
Overall: 7.5 - You've just got to try it

Reviewed by: Jeff

3 comments:

Movie Reviewers said...

Hey Jeff and Chan, I want to know were you can get energy drinks for a cheap price?

Can you help me out?

Canned Reviewer said...

I'll give you the low down, cow man.

You can get energy drinks in most places. Stores like Vons and Ralph's will have the basics for a regular price of about $2.00-$2.50. If you check out your local market, you may find more variety, but with higher prices. If you're on the road, you can look for energy drinks at most gas stations. And if you're looking for something cheap, you might find something weird at the 99 cent store. In fact, I've actually found some great deals like a dollar for a 24oz Rockstar Juiced Pomegranate. Today, I actually got a Lost energy drink, in the 24oz size for the same price. I'll be reviewing it Friday, so watch out for that!

Sam said...

Good review, just one question, you gave it a taste of 8 and a kick of 9 yet gave it an overall of 7.5, is there another factor effecting your review? Thanks

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"