Thursday, July 3, 2008

Jones Energy


Well, we all know Jones Soda for their gourmet sodas with some tasty flavors. Well, they've had an energy drink out for a while and they even apologized for it on the back of the can. They label it as an Extra Strength Energy Drink, and I didn't believe them, until I checked out the ingredients. They add a dose of Ubiquinone, otherwise known as Coenzyme Q-10, or CoQ-10, which definitely has to deliver some energy because it's what is responsible for our body's production of energy. I'm not that excited to try this for the taste, but I really do want to know what the kick will feel like. Since I've got sort of a tolerance for Caffeine, Guarana, Taurine and Ginseng - the common energy ingredients, this is going to be like my first time trying an energy drink all over again, or so I hope. I've about had my fill of drinks that are too sweet, like the BooKoos and Freeks, and I want something a bit easier to drink. This drink sounds all right with a comfortable 27g of sugar per serving, the same as a Monster. I'm wondering what the flavor will be. This orange and black can may possibly hint at an orange flavor, which wouldn't excite me, to be honest. I'm about to find out.

I poured out the Jones to observe the color, and I saw a bright golden-yellow, that made me think of pineapple. I was hopeful for a minute and then I took a sip. It was a total let-down to taste a lame, chalky, orange, similar to the Rip It Power I reviewed. I don't think it's a very Jones-like flavor to begin with, but the fact that it has that vitamin and mineral taste takes it even further. Cold, it was terrible, but warm, it's a little bit better. It reminds me of Shasta Orange on ice, but it's a little bit gummier and has the vitamins. Something about this is forcing me to drink it in waves because every time I have some, I start to feel an upset stomach. The first time was bad, the second time was unpleasant, and now it barely has any negative effect. Now that it's warm, I'm able to really taste the orange. It's subdued and sweet with no bite or acidity, which is what I liked about the Shasta, especially when it's flat. Now that I think about it, the carbonation wasn't too bad. Also, the gumminess isn't bad at all. Warm, I find that this drink isn't so bad after all. It does still leave a bitter aftertaste, but it's nothing I can't handle. And warm, this thing doesn't taste too sweet at all. I'm comfortable with the sugar level. I have a hunch that this drink is also just a little old, though the best by date says otherwise. I guess when you get this, you should leave it warm or chill it lightly.

I wasn't feeling very good before, but after letting my stomach settle for a while, this drink has some nice vitalizing effects. I'm not getting the jitteriness and quick little energy rush I get from other drinks loaded with Caffeine and other traditional energy ingredients only. The CoQ10 had an amazing effect that is keeping me up nonstop. This drink's energy blend does a good job of providing a long-lasting and very consistent boost that will glue your eyes open without any jitters. Coenzyme Q10 is such a great thing to have in this drink. It delivers insane alertness with awesome concentration that is as good as Ginkgo Biloba. I found out online that Co Q10 is necessary for energy production in the body's cells. It's got something to do with the mitochondria and ATP and such. It's such an essential supplement, it works as an antioxidant and is used to treat several medical conditions such as Cancer. The rest of the ingredients list includes Carbonated Water, HFCS, Citric Acid, Taurine, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Potassium Benzoate, Caffeine, Caramel Color, Inositol, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Pyridoxine Hydrocloride, Riboflavin, and Vitamin B12. The stack of vitamins, minor amounts of Caffeine and Taurine, and the Co Q10 provide a nice energetic and focused kick. It's even lasted through the night, which is amazing.

Taste: 6 - Painful at first, tasty toward the end
Kick: 8.5 - The Co Q10 yields incredible focus and vitality
Overall: 7.5 - I knew it would be worth having for the kick

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"