Friday, June 13, 2008

Jetset Ginger Ale


They seem to have everything at BevMo. It's a local market that sells all sorts of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. While we were there, we picked up a couple Jetsets, which we had heard were fantastic. I chose the ginger ale just because I wanted something with some flavor. What makes this line of drinks special is that they are meant for mixing with alcohol, which would explain the odd flavors such as tonic and club soda. The can design look a lot sleeker and nicer than most energy drinks, which improves the image of the drink. I haven't had ginger ale in an extremely long time and I'm very eager to try it out. To quickly gauge the kind of sweetness I'm going to face before I open it, I'm looking at the back of the can. In 10.5oz, there are 26g of sugar and it's in the form of -what a surprise- HFCS. I should expect it to be light and dull. I'll find out in a moment.

Just as I had suspected, it tastes of strong ginger and light sweetness. But it isn't as dull as I had expected it to be. It's relatively crisp and bright, even though it does use HFCS. The best part in drinking it is the beginning of the sip, when it's at its crispest and sourest. A very nice, spicy and cinnamony ginger takes front and center, and then fades away to reveal lots of fizz and some bothersome gumminess. Then, it becomes a bit too fizzy over your tongue, feeling a little uncomfortable. However the taste is so irresistible, in my mind, that none of the discomfort gets between me and the flavor. It's probably less fizzy and gummy when mixed with alcohol, but I know the dangers and I'm not taking that risk, even though the fizziness and gumminess combined are now becoming quite unbearable and the taste is getting old fast. I don't know whether to recommend this for its taste or not. There's most likely a better ginger ale out there.

On kick, Jetset really performs. I felt a pretty good, gradual kick that made me more alert and energetic. Judging by the ingredients, this Jetset is pretty strong. There are 120mg of Caffeine, which isn't bad at all for a 10.5oz can. There are also a whole bunch of energy ingredients, listed right on the side of the can. Per can, there are 1000mg of Taurine, 50mg of Inositol, 25mg Ginseng, 50mg Glucuronolactone, and 25mg of Guarana. This can holds 105 calories, which is about normal, and packs 26g of sugar, which seems like less when you drink it. If you're into energy drink mixers, this is perhaps for you.

Taste: 7 - Okay, but it gets old, and there are probably better ginger ales out there
Kick: 8.5 - You'll love the kick
Overall: 7.5 - Great mixer, I suppose, but not the best alone

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"