Monday, August 11, 2008

Jolt Passion Fruit


Passion Fruit is a flavor less used in energy drinks, yet you will run into to an occasional outsider. Jolt wanted to create a good flavor, but not one that's 'cliche', or used by other energy drink companies like Rockstar, Monster, Amp, etc. So, here they are with a Passion Fruit. Now I found this drink exclusively at a Walgreen's that just opened up around the corner, and I hadn't known Jolt made this flavor. Apparently, it's been out for quite awhile, I didn't know, I would gone searching. Many attempts at Passion Fruit usually end up in a sugary and overly sweet mess, like juices and sodas; I'm hoping Jolt can break apart from that and make a good Passion Fruit flavor every one's craving. I had some really good memories of Jolt's insane kick it brought with it inside it's 24 ounces of goodness, that proves Jolt is worthy of insane recognition. The can design is pretty cool, pretty big I might add. 'Jolt' is printed vertically in jagged yellow outline with 'Passion Fruit' under it in a fairly simple yet italicized font. It's 75% black at the bottom and about 25% yellow at the top with neat and detailed silver lightning bolts. Well, let's see how far this behemoth can will take me.

The plastic casing at the top peels off in a few strips and I'm anticipating the amazing 'POP' you get from this pop-tops. The aroma is once again a heavenly flow of sweet tropical fruits like guava, grape, citrus, you know all the flavors that take you back to being in a quiet island with rain forests and sandy beaches. It's color is almost exactly like the can design, a crystal yellow color, with a ton of gas bubbles and foamy head. Jolt never ceases to amaze me with their flavors they bring to the house, just thoroughly amazing. Jolt Passion Fruit has an exquisite combination of guava, pineapple, grape, citrus, and possibly a small amount of original Monster Formula. The flavor is much less intense than the scent, but it's still pretty darn good. It's pretty sweet, but not nearly as sweet as other passion fruit drinks I've tried. There's also a good amount of sourness in the drink, which is completely normal for all the flavors it brought. In general, the flavor is impressive, but not entirely as great as the Blue Raspberry and the Power Cola. What Jolt should not do with their energy drinks is put all the carbonation they do in them. It's almost like drinking a soda with one of these, hence the reason I'm only 5 or 6 ounces into it. For the HFCS in here, It's as gummy as I really predicted it to be, just some minor traces of gumminess lingering behind the tongue. Overall, the flavor was pretty good, but I wished it were sweetened differently. I hate to drink a dull tropical flavor, it just doesn't make sense.

The ingredients are nothing special but I'll list them anyway: carbonted water, high fructose corn syrup, taurine, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, caffeine, sodium benzoate, panax ginseng, guarana, and niacin. Here we see the HFCS in the drink, no surprise because it's found in all the Jolts (Excluding the Jolt Ultra). There's enough caffeine in one of these babies to last you 15 days of going to work with some energy each day. But, if you're someone like me, you use the energy elsewhere, like football or walking. Per 23.5 ounce can, you get 360 calories and a killer 90g of sugar. Like I noted before, I recommend you split a 24 ounce Jolt with someone because that's just too much for some people, and me. Well, I think Jolt got the sweetness perfect on this energy drink because it wasn't too sweet and it only has 29g per serving. Right now, I'm so hyped up I can hardly think straight, these really are amazing. Once again, Jolt impressed me and I advise you pick up one of these behemoths, you will not regret it, trust me.

Taste: 8.8 - Jolt's twist on a passion fruit flavor was perfectly sweetened , but not as good as the other few 24 ounce Jolts
Kick: 9.4 - Dang!
Overall: 9 - Although you're paying more money for one of these, it really is worth it

Reviewed by: Chan

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"