Saturday, January 24, 2009

Starbucks Doubleshot Energy+Coffee Vanilla


Sometimes you have to try something twice to know if you like it. This is one of those times and I'm feeling good about Starbucks' Doubleshot Energy+Coffee Vanilla. This time I'm striving to explore the full flavor by shaking the can and chilling it completely. I wouldn't be reviewing this if it weren't for Evan Pham sending us a surprise shipment just before the release of their new flavor. Thanks again, Evan, and I hope you appreciate the reviews to come, including that of Starbucks' new flavor, which will soon be released. Congratulations on a great new flavor, and I know it will be gladly received by the public with open mouths.

Anyway, this sleepy Saturday morning, I decided to skip my morning cup of hot coffee for a delicious Starbucks energy drink. Vanilla sounded like something light and flavorful, so I picked it out first. All of these drinks are made with reduced fat and skim milk, which makes me wonder. In my experience, milk instead of half and half generally isn't as good. But then again, I can understand that all these companies opt for milk because it has less fat than cream. I can't wait to taste this.

I popped open the can quickly, forgetting I had shaken it earlier, splattering foamy vanilla coffee all over my screen. The smell from the can is very nice dark roast coffee with that good strong nutty and chocolatey aroma. On top of that is a scent just like vanilla ice cream and it's quite enticing. A big swig from the can gives me some really nice creamy but not thick coffee and that same vanilla bean ice cream on the side. The sweetness is pleasant and not too sweet, until about the last second, when it gets a little too sweet for me. I only taste a very small hint of sucralose on the back of my tongue. I'm very glad it's not as prominent as before. I find myself going back to take more and more sips, because that vanilla is pretty addicting. As I get down further, it seems to me like it lacks some coffee; the coffee is more of an undertone than a base flavor, but Starbucks was smart, knowing this would attract even non-coffee drinkers. The only complaint I still have is that the sucralose in the end has an unpleasant bitter taste I wish would go away. Who knows, others may not taste it, but it's the only thing that I'd change about this drink. All in all, this is an exceptional drink with a great coffee taste and a deep, rich vanilla, however, I would go easy on the sucralose. Now I'm interested in the boost.

I'm guessing Starbucks' energy drink performs at least on par with their very strong coffee, giving lots of sustained energy. But what pleasantly surprised me was the incredible focus and vitality that Starbucks Doubleshot Energy+Coffee gave. I was full of energy, but not over the top, meaning no jitters. Compare that to a Monster or Monster Java which almost invariably gets me hyper and revved up to the point that I can't sit still. Starbucks on the other hand, is a more sophisticated drink that seems to go for a more well rounded boost. A Monster makes me want to tear things down with all my extra energy, while Starbucks makes me feel like building something. So, what's different about the ingredients?

The drink's ingredients read as follows: Starbucks Coffee (Filtered Water, Coffee), Reduced-Fat Milk, Skim Milk, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Taurine, Cellulose Gel, Natural Flavor, L-Carnitine, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Inositol, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Guarana (Paullinia Cupana) Seed Extract, Cellulose Gum, Calcium Phosphate, Niacinimide, Sucralose, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tricalcium Phosphate, Caramel Color, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Vitamin D3. As for the energy ingredients, there are 2000mg of Maltodextrin, 1800mg of Taurine, 450 of L-carnitine, the vitality-giving ingredient, 180mg of Inositol, 325mg of Ginseng, and 90mg of Guarana. It's not the most extreme list, but it sure does the job and yields a fantastic kick that lasts for a good three hours or more. Finally, there are 25g of sugar per can, and 210 calories per can. Overall, I was much happier with Starbucks' energy drink this time around, and I can't wait to try the new flavor.

Taste: 8.2 - Delicious ice cream vanilla over a chocolatey, nutty dark roast coffee
Kick: 8.5 - Awesome, long-lasting kick with brilliant focus and vitality
Overall: 8.4 - Loved it the second time around

Reviewed by: Jeff

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked this one. I substitute it for my normal cup of coffee on days when I know I am going to need the extra boost.

Anonymous said...

It has a lot going for it except the artificial sweetener, which sucks. Horrible after-taste no matter how hard they try to mask it. (This is my experience. It seems there are those who don't taste the sucralose as much as others.)

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"