Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bomba Berry


Bomba is one of those sort of novel drinks Chan and I seek, which seem simple, yet come in a unique package. Rarely do you find an energy drink bottled in glass, and even more seldom do you find one that looks like a grenade. That's what makes Bomba special. In fact, bomba is a Spanish word for "bomb," seeming to assert that this drink will give you the energy of a bomb, maybe a grenade. Now, such an assertion so wild for this small of a drink seems absurd, but it's a good concept and goes with the traditional image you have associated with an energy drink. I haven't got much more to say about this drink except that after my experience with many berry-flavored drinks, I can easily predict how this will taste. But I don't want to waste time while my drink is waiting for me in the freezer.

Unlike most energy drinks and very much like a grenade, with plastic or aluminum or something peeling away from the cap with the use of a pull handle. With enough pulling, the entire cap pops off. The aroma that approached me was unlike anything I've ever smelled. As I pull my nose closer, it smells like luscious unwashed berries picked right off the bush, with some aromatic herbs or something. This is getting me excited. I don't think I've ever met a more amazing berry. Taking a small sip, I savor the wonderfully rich flavor of deliciously sweet wild berries and a hint of blueberry that isn't remarkably sour, but tastes extremely natural, even carrying along some earthiness that would come from the skin of the berries. Never in my days of reviewing have I tasted such a deep berry flavor so drinkable, and the glass bottle makes it even more enjoyable. Near the beginning, the carbonation is very fine, yet it does cause a bit of flavor loss, however, toward the end, the carbonation settles and makes this even more drinkable. A small downside or the Bomba, that I'm feeling right now is a little bit of gumminess that distracts from the flavor just a bit. However, I don't see it as a nuisance. Overall, I can call this a truly interesting and delicious drink.

Already, at the end of this bottle, I feel a nice amount of energy, which is causing my legs to tremble and my hands to become restless. I think this drink has served it's purpose well, as I'm fairly well energized. However, we need to know what's in the drink. In one 250mL bottle (8.4 fl. oz), we have 90 calories, 22g of sugar, 75 weak milligrams of Taurine, 63 decent milligrams of Caffeine, Vitamin E, and Niacin. Surprisingly, that's all. Yet, somehow, this is giving me the jitters. I'm not sure, but perhaps it is the environment I'm having this in. I'll have to further test this out.

After some exercising, I'm still pretty energetic and feeling good. I think around 63mg of Caffeine is a great number, since it's great for a small boost in energy and alertness, yet it was light enough to not keep me from falling asleep. I can easily recommend this to anyone, anytime, who can appreciate a berry flavor with some depth.

Taste: 8.4 - Natural, rich berry with some depth
Kick: 7.6 - Nice decent kick to get you buzzed, not jittery
Overall: 8.3 - I want another one of these

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"