Thursday, May 15, 2008

Monster Java Big Black


Since I haven't had an energy drink since Monday, and a good one since long before that, I think it was time to review a beverage I knew was going to be quality. This is a re-review of the Monster Java Big Black. I'm not quite sure what sets this apart from the rest of the Java Monsters. The only difference, I am guessing, will have to do with the amount of sugar and cream in the coffee, no doubt. The side of this beautiful woodgrain-textured can doesn't really tell whether it's gonna turn out black or not. I'll just have to crack it open to find out. I know I'm going to feel a real great boost, after energy drink fasting for almost a week.

So, was I right? Is the color black like black coffee? No, how puzzling... It's the same brown of the Mean Bean and all the others. The smell is of weak coffee, but I'm not disappointed. Non-hardcore coffee drinkers would enjoy this, along with all Java Monsters. They're not too bitter or strong, like real coffee. Chilled, this is an incredibly addicting concoction. It enters your mouth tasting very creamy and wonderful. I'd say this is not so much like sweetened coffee, but more like a sweet, milky drink with a coffee base. That said, this is, I believe, the strongest of the Java Monsters, which goes to show how weak this line of drinks is. It's more for non-coffee lovers, like me, and I'm absolutely loving it. It does taste a tad too sweet, which surprised me because I thought this was supposed to be the stronger Java. In fact, it has 19g of sugar per serving; more than most of the others. Despite this, there's no troublesome gumminess, which I like. It's undoubtedly a great drink, but it makes me think that Monster could have toned down the sugar and cream to make this a truly strong drink, instead of making it almost a clone of the Mean Bean. I hope they think about it, in order to appeal to the more hardcore coffee crowd. That's my suggestion to Monster.

Now, on the kick, we all know that Monster never fails to pack a punch, not even in their coffees. I reckon the energy ingredients are identical to those used in all of their 14 varieties: 2500mg per serving, or 5000mg total of the Monster energy blend, which includes L-Carnitine, Glucose, Caffeine, Guarana, Inositol, Glucuronolactone, and Maltodextrin. Along with that potent mix of energy supplements comes 2000mg total of Taurine, which is the standard for a 16oz can. And with all of this, you get a whole array of vitamins like A, C, D, Potassium, Riboflavin, Niacin, B, and Phosphorus. It's enough to really get you up and totally energized. Monsters are good at that. This will likely give me a pretty sick boost, because it's been a while since I've had an energy drink. With the great can design, great taste, great ingredients and great boost, this is definitely a pass, but I still wonder why it was not darker and less sugary that it was. I'm hoping Monster thinks about that.

Taste: 8.5 - You will love it from the first sip
Kick: 8.5 - A great buzz, brought to you by Monster
Overall: 8.5 - A must try

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"