Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Euphoric Energy Watermelon Kiwi


Euphoric Energy is a drink Chan and I have heard of but could never quite get our hands on. After yesterday's visit to Big! Lots, I found the motherload of Euphoric Energy, Unbound, and Stoked energy drinks. Without hesitation, I picked them up. Euphoric Energy, from what I've read on their website, is dedicated to quality and health. I like that. Checking out the can, I see your usual Caffeine, Taurine, and such, but then I see some other nice ingredients including Damiana Leaf and Maca Root. I rarely see these ingredients in the energy drinks I review, so I'm interested in feeling the effects. Upon further inspection, I notice that this drink uses sugar, not HFCS, which makes me very glad. Good choice, I say, and I can't wait to taste this.

As I took a sniff of this very pungent drink, my eyes widened and I was really stunned. This drink gives off a very sweet, and sour watermelon kiwi with the rounded sweetness of the watermelon and the sharp tartness of the Kiwi. It's very comparable to the flavor of sour watermelon Jolly Rancher hard candy with a hint of Kiwi. Just as Euphoric claims on their website, this drink is extremely tasty and addicting; it reminds me of reviewing the classics all over again, such as the irresistible Monster or the delicious Rockstar Punched Citrus. I pour this drink out into a cup to observe the color and it's a crystal clear pink-tinted flowery color that looks very much like hard candy. The taste grows on me with every sip, and even though this isn't really chilled, it's still wonderfully delicious.

I take a look at Euphoric's ingredients and I find: Carbonated Water, Sugar, Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sodium Benzoate (preservative), Potassium Sorbate (preservative), and Red 40. Oh, the energy supplements aren't listed in the ingredients; instead, they're found in the Supplement Facts:

Caffeine: 70mg per serving/140mg total
Taurine: 600mg/1200mg
Ginseng Extract: 25mg/50mg
Damiana Leaf Extract: 40mg/80mg
Inositol: 80mg/160mg
Maca Root Extract: 30mg/60mg
Suma Root Extract: 50mg/100mg

Looking at that list, I can see that the amount of energy ingredients is not substantial, but there are a whole bunch of 'em, including three very interesting ones. Damiana, the first, turns out to be a quite interesting plant. Damiana is a shrub native to Central America, Mexico, and South America that is said to have relaxing effects. It is often an ingredient in Margaritas and has been included in some herbal cigarretes to give an extremely relaxing and calming effect. Maca root, also located in South America, seems to be more of a superfood than an energy supplement. Apparently, because of its high nutritional value, Maca has natural hormone-normalizing effects and seems to be very good for the male reproductive system. And finally, Suma, a root found indigenous to South America and often called Brazillian Ginseng, also has a high nutritional value. Some also claim it improves stamina and endurance, although some say it should not be consumed for long periods of time, only in "times of need." The only other energy ingredient present is Vitamin B12 along, quite surprisingly. In terms of the energy I felt, I can safely say this is comparable to most drinks in the energy given, minus the jitters and uncomfortable shortness of breath one might feel with high Caffeine intake. Euphoric knows too much Caffeine isn't a good thing, so they take it easy and ramp up the healthier, more natural ingredients. To wrap things up, Euphoric Energy has 26g of sugar per serving (one less than a Monster), and has 220 calories per can. Overall, I would put this on my "stock up" list and also my "go-to" list, because you can't pass up the opportunity to have such a quality drink as this.

Taste: 9.7 - I absolutely loved
the flavor, and I could totally go for another anytime
Kick: 7.8 - Euphoric knows how to design a relaxing, alert, non-jittery kick
Overall: 9 - This is going on my "stock up" list

Reviewed by: Jeff

No comments:

Reviewers

Jeffery "Jeff," Chandler "Chan"